- What is the Directory Concept?
- The Directory allows a User of the Site to display personal information about other Site users. Think of it as sort of an online White Pages, including Phone Numbers, Email Addresses, etc.
- Why use the Concept?
- The Directory facilitates free and direct communication between Site Users. Please, note that the Site is a "closed community": only authorized Users may logon to the site.
- How is the concept implemented?
- Each User's information is stored in the Users table. The User directly manages the non-privileged contents using the Services: Profile function, including identifying which information should be available to other Users in the Directory (usually accessible via Services: Directory).
The Directory function allows for communication between individuals involved with the Site. It is NOT intended to display any information that would compromise the individual's privacy (e.g. SSNs, etc.). In fact, each User controls to a great degree the exact contents available in the Directory about him/her.
It IS common to hyperlink a User's Name from another location on the Site to the User's corresponding Directory entry. This allows Referees to contact one another if desired.