Currently (January 2005 and beyond), RidgeStar operates multiple Intel based Servers connected
directly to the Internet (you may hear us occasionally reference them as NET1, NET2, NET3, etc.).
For example, you are currently connected to the Server operating as www.ridgestar.com, on the physical system we call net1.
These Servers are dedicated to servicing RidgeStar Client sites, providing Internet Services and, of course, backing each other up in the event of some unforeseen difficulty.
We currently operate the following software on our Web Servers:
- RedHat Linux Enterprise Server
- Our primary server platform providing Apache HTTP Service, MySQL database services using PHP as the primary scripting language.
- Stalker Software, Inc.'s CommuniGate Pro
- Provides SMTP, IMAP, POP3, and Web based Email services. Operates as the MAIL processor for all domains within RidgeStar (i.e. mail.RidgeStar.com, etc.)
RidgeStar operates as the primary DNS (Domain Name Service)
for almost all of the domains we are responsible for. They are known as dns1.ridgestar.com and dns2.ridgestar.com
Development occurs in a couple of different environments (depending upon the circumstances):
- Fedora Core machines with Geany for script coding and maintenance. GIMP and a variety of other open source programs are used for graphics production.
- Windows/XP machines with MacroMedia's HomeSite for the script coding and maintenance. We also use a variety of Web tools including graphical programs (such as Corel's Xara, Draw, and PhotoPaint), as required by each project.